David Thorne (He/Him)
David is a proven commercial business leader with 30 years of regulated utility experience. David has been with The Equal Group since its formation and oversees, and supports the development of, its strategy.
David understands first-hand how businesses struggle to embed equality, diversity and inclusion on a day-to day basis despite good intentions. However, he has also seen how the power of diversity and inclusion can be harnessed to great effect.
Over the last three decades, David has held senior positions in both public and private sector organisations focusing on regulated markets. Working for the water and energy regulators followed by the largest regulated energy supplier(British Gas) has heightened his understanding and appreciation of differing, competing perspectives, but also the necessity to significantly diversify those viewpoints. He was Chief Executive of Gemserv, an energy, environmental and data consultancy, for eight years leading the company to triple its revenues profitably employing over 150 people. He understands how the pressures of running a business can impact the priority of EDI, but also how first small steps can lead to real progress to reap rewards for the company, its people, and society.
• David has a track record of driving strategic transformation, whilst mastering the cultural dynamics of evolutionary and revolutionary change;
• Over 20 years Director experience on Company and Sector Boards;
• More than 30 years in stakeholder management with an ability to balance constructive challenge whilst delivering considered insight to build consensus. He was a key member of the core regulatory team designing and introducing full GB-wide competition for electricity supply;
• Strong leadership skills and commercially minded with clear understanding of competing priorities, particularly for senior leaders, in both public and private companies (through his experience as a Chief Executive);
• Strong understanding of corporate governance, regulatory practices and an enterprise risk practitioner.
David believes embedding Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace can dramatically improve performance, productivity and innovation by enabling all your people to share the best that they can be.