Allan Reid (They/Them)
Allan is an experienced EDI professional having worked as an EDI Consultant with The Equal Group since March 2021 and previously as D&I Officer for Network Rail Scotland. Allan has also contributed their expertise to various organisations and groups including the Alba Alliance - a multi-organisation LGBTQ+ network in Scotland.
Allan is passionate about ensuring that the world becomes a fairer and more just place for everyone. They believe that EDI in the workplace will improve the quality of life for more people as the initiatives are taken into communities by the employees.
Allan has experience in a number of different roles and has viewed the opportunity of access, the diversity and inclusivity of different industries and departments. They have experience in working with initiatives to improve opportunities for poorer communities and kids with learning difficulties, championing the rights of the LGBTQ+ Community, being a vocal anti-racist and feminist. Through these roles and experience, Allan has become aware of the extensive issues for EDI within workplaces. Allan’s goal is to make their own job redundant by building a legacy for EDI, building it into the fabric of society as well as business ensuring that even as things change, uniqueness is celebrated, respected and valued.
• Allan has written reports and created action plans to address systemic racism for a variety of clients including public organisations.
• They have addressed representation issues in recruitment, development and progression in multiple organisations, crafting solutions to address each clients unique needs.
• They have assisted organisations in creating global DEI policies and initiatives to tie together efforts in multiple countries.
• Allan isn’t afraid to ask difficult questions of clients to get to the heart of the matter - they know that EDI isn’t always comfortable work and almost all clients need to get used to being uncomfortable so they can address their issues.
• Allan is a regular contributor to podcasts and webinars discussing a variety of EDI issues, most notably LGBTQ+, disability, mental health and neurodiversity.
• Previously, Allan helped to write the final draft of Network Rail Scotland’s first Diversity & Inclusion Strategy.
• Allan has presented on a number of topics for various groups including The Bi-Umbrella for Scottish Power, The Queer Community for Network Rail and Reasonable Adjustments in the Workplace: Neurodiversity & Mental health.
• Allan believes that conversations on EDI must include everyone - one group cannot solve the problem, especially if they are the oppressed group. We must listen to the voices of lived experience and let them steer the conversations but the privileged group must drive the change.
• Allan takes the view that you cannot pick and choose which EDI areas you subscribe to, it must be a holistic approach looking at Equality, Diversity and Inclusion across all protected characteristics and any additional characteristics that could be excluded.
Allan is focused on providing educated EDI advice in order to raise awareness, identify gaps in strategy and provide solutions to address issues.